Monday, June 6, 2011

Letter Writing: A Daily Opportunity

It remains for me that there are few delights to be compared to that of finding a letter in the mailbox.  And next to receiving a letter, writing one is so pleasant.   Around the age of about fourteen I embraced letter writing with a passion.  I spent all my little earnings on growing my stationary collection and kept up correspondence with friends and family.

In her book Living a Beautiful Life (which I love and will certainly talk more about) Alexandra Stoddard strongly recommends making letter writing "a daily opportunity to communicate with a friend".  It has been years since I have done anything like regular letter writing.   But in my ideal life, there are a few quiet moments each morning where I sit at my little writing desk and dash off a quick note.




Here's a little tour of the desk that waits for me.
This is the middle drawer.  I like using old stationary boxes to divide it up.



 My "thank you" note drawer. Probably the one that still gets the most use.



A little collection of boxed notes.



 This is a little left-over of the blue Crane stationary I wrote all my love letters to Husband when he lived in Ohio and I in Colorado before we married.



He was completely charmed and amused by this 100% Cotton watermark.



And I did write a little note to send out today.  It was very pleasant, of course.  Will I do it more often?  I certainly hope so.  What about you?
 

See Today's Post {HERE}




{Linking to Life Made Lovely Monday & Lollipops}

10 comments:

  1. I'm going nuts-o over this. I think it's great. Great. Great. I love this. Wonderful. I could write pages on how great I think this is.

    Love it.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. the yellow door paperie is doing a letter writing challenge for summer. You should go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all that paper. I need to write more handwritten letters. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is perfect! i really need to write more snail mail. i love your desk, it looks like such an inspiring"YOU" space. i hopped over from life made lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have got all 3 of my kids writting once a week all summer! I love this post. I think we are going to go get started now!!!

    Megan
    mommyminded.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that's actually your desk, it looks gorgeous! Out of a magazine! I love a handwritten note, that's is one of the reasons I started my shop with cards. I love giving them and receiving them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, all your enthusiasm is inspiring, ladies! Thank you much for the feedback and encouragement. And way to go, Mommy Minded - such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your writing desk and drawers full of such beautiful letter-writing materials. So sweet and refreshing to see! :)
    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't agree more. I love sending and receiving notes and letters. I love your desk and have one similar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how inspiring! (and your pictures are amazing...)We are moving overseas and as much as I look forward to using technology to stay in touch, I am enamored by the idea of using the good old postal system...

    ReplyDelete